home based

I am a home based worker for a large company, however there is no office to work from within 2 hours. Therefore I have to work from home and one of my rooms at home is used as an office. During the winter particularly, but through all the year this has a big effect on lighting, heating, water bills etc The company does not pay towards these costs, but is there anything I can claim back on tax? Thanks

Makeapost Blog


deepak g on 23 July, 2009 at 7:22 am #

just visit -

HADEL on 23 July, 2009 at 9:56 am #

No. Unless it is stated in the contract between you and the company.

TedEx on 24 July, 2009 at 12:42 pm #

,Possibly, but you will have to prove it is for the convenienceof the employer and not for your own convenience.

The Bricklayer on 26 July, 2009 at 6:00 pm #

If you are self-employed then yes,if not then the employer should reimburse you.

MICHAEL D on 27 July, 2009 at 11:22 pm #

No your not self employed. Try claiming something back from the company.

bogeysmum on 31 July, 2009 at 4:52 am #

As I understand it you can, but that part of your house then ceases to be part of your main residence for capital gains tax purposes. This only becomes an issue when you come to sell your house. Normally any profit made on the sale of your main residence is exempt from capital gains tax, but a proportion of it that represents your office would become potentially taxable. Therefore, unless your expenses are particularly high it probably isn’t worth the bother. If you are considering this route, it would be well worth consulting an accountant first.

fengirl2 on 1 August, 2009 at 4:12 pm #

Rubbish answers so far.
You can claim £3 pw for the use of a room at home. Your contract of employment must specify that you are required tow rok from home.

Post a Comment