online jobs
lemonsqueezer asked:

I am looking to start my own cake making and decorating business in the UK, based at my home.
Does anyone know if this type of business is subject to the same food safety rules & regulations as any other catering business?


topcat7334 on 14 June, 2009 at 7:26 am #

i dont know myself but i know of a lady near me who does it from home, she made 2 cakes for me and they were amazing, if you go to the following website and contact her from there im sure she will advise you…..she is lovely!!

rene57 on 14 June, 2009 at 11:10 pm #

I believe that as a business you must comply with the food safety rules and regulations. You local authority will advise you on this and they run courses advising you on the best way you can go about it.

David H on 18 June, 2009 at 12:24 am #

Check with the local council or city hall, some districts are not zoned for business, even a small in home business, the health board will require you to take a food safety course to make food and sell it, plus you may need a vendors licence like a mobile canteen or market stall.

My friend in Liverpool wanted to set up a catering kitchen along with his bistro business at his home, but because of the zoning permits and the size of the basement and the health authorities need for refrigeration and fire safety equipment, he was forced to do all of his food prep in the restaurant. Before you print up flyer’s or card advertising your business, check with all the powers that be, and be sure, you do not want them to close you down with a large pile of order waiting.

Post a Comment