online jobs
Sophie asked:

I’m going to start a home based cake decorating business but someone at work told me that i could get in trouble with i think she said the fda for baking at home… I want to look that up to see if its true but I cant find anything online… i googled it but all I find is how to start a business… but no rules or regulations. any help would be wonderful!

Makeapost Blog


Eric H on 8 October, 2009 at 5:24 pm #

Start at your local Health unit.

I don’t think they’ll allow it, but you can try.

Yvette B on 11 October, 2009 at 11:34 pm #

Go to your health dept first. If you want to sell your product it must be regulated. It would be the county health dept.

Also, if you have major vendors lined up to supply you with ingredients, ask them for help. They’re often willing and helpful, especially if they’re local.

Judi on 13 October, 2009 at 9:48 pm #

There are some states that will license home bakers, and a lot more that won’t. For example, I live in TX and the only way you can get a home kitchen licensed is if it’s not accessible from your living quarters…basically, you could put a kitchen in your garage, in addition to the kitchen in the house, but you would have to be able to get to it without going through the house.

A lot of people who bake at home don’t do it legally. It limits your options for advertising a lot, and can be used against you if you have an unhappy customer (if they know you’re illegal, they can threaten to report you if you don’t refund their cake, etc…). You also can’t get insurance for an illegal home bakery. Still, a lot of people do it, to build up a customer base before investing in opening a shop, or in building a commercial kitchen in their home…that way they can see if it’s a viable option without sinking their life savings in first.

You can call your county health inspector and ask what the laws are in your state. You can also join the forums at and look in the business section for the thread on states that license home bakeries.

Post a Comment