home business opportunity
TBS asked:

Can I start a home based accounting business if I am not a CPA?If yes,in my business card, can I put my title as “Accountant”?

Create a video blog…instantly.


jkurz2008 on 26 July, 2009 at 3:52 pm #

You have to be very, very careful. If you say public accountant, or professional accountant, you are probably violating a state law. I looked into this one time.

Sure you can build a book of business without being certified?

Also, may want to be careful about legal liability.

Talk to a lawyer. You don’t want to lose your house over this.

she who on 28 July, 2009 at 5:12 am #

Do not put “accountant” on your business card it will open you up to a myriad of legal problems.

You would be called a “bookkeeper” if you have not gone through school to be certified as an accountant. It’s like saying your a lawyer without taking the bar exam and passing.

mainecpa on 29 July, 2009 at 1:46 am #

Sure. Yes, you can use the title “Accountant.” As the other answerer said, just don’t say CPA or PA.

As far as liability, you face liability every time you drive to the corner store. Do the best job you can, be honest, deal with problems immediately, communicate ALL THE TIME with your clients, and you should be fine.

Become a Quick Books expert. You can set up new clients and teach them how to email you the accountant’s copy and re-install it when you email it back.

karhonleong on 31 July, 2009 at 10:46 am #

Yes you can, but people would not trust you without the CPA qualification.

Post a Comment